Mafia Roleplay V0.1
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mafia Roleplay - 80.79.113.37:7777

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

[GUIDE]Defining your Character

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Lucas_Cuneo
GodFather(Admin)
GodFather(Admin)

[GUIDE]Defining your Character Empty
PostSubject: [GUIDE]Defining your Character   [GUIDE]Defining your Character Icon_minitimeTue Dec 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Creating and exploring your character

After my stay here, I’ve noticed on M-RP that the mainstream player, the mainstream cop and the mainstream criminal are robots. Key-bind addicted and cliqued characters seem to make this roleplay what it is. I’m not saying I’m better than anyone else, I’m saying if you really want to explore proper roleplay, we need to flesh out our characters more. for example, not every Police Officer is polite, and not every police officer uses the same mechanisms to pull people over and arrest. Cliques in the Police are for example either a Good perfect cop who just literally key binds everything and uses sir in every sentence, and a cop who is corrupt, and does the exact same thing except doesn’t do it to people driving a Washington.

This needs to stop, of course, there are Police Officers who are cliqued in real life (to an extent, that is how the clique was made in the first place, but more than likely, they have there own diverse personality. Exploring this is quite simple; you just need to observe real life.

At first, you need to define a name which suits him, a nationality, age, and general appearance, as well as basic aspects to his personality (Which may differ throughout experiences in his life)

How to add persona to your character.

For an example, I’m going to use two my characters to show you how personalities can differ. Lucas Cuneo, my flagship if you like, is a reasonably hot-headed, disrespect racist who on the inside asslicks and strives for money and power. Although one of his traits is Loyal to the people above him, he will use anyone to get to a certain comfortable position, this includes backstabbing anyone who is no longer of use to him. He does not like to be messed around with, and has problems comprehending certain aspects of the Human mind, which worries him ( This means he has problems establishing what peoples personalities are like, and are usually mislead and sometimes vulnerable) He likes to drink a lot of Jack Daniels, and smokes occasionally. Lucas strongly agrees with the Government, and loves the idea of total power over everyone, thus his old position in the Government.

On the other hand, my other character John Macone is a slightly egotistical person, constantly remarking upon his days in Government as if to impress others. He is a Vegetarian and quite a book-worm, being an expert at Philosophy. Although not physically adept, his mind makes up for it. He doesn’t drink alcoholic beverages whatsoever, only Orange Juice and Mango. He is very respectful of authority, and will sometimes follow them (Regardless of his own beliefs) loyally. John is a Liberal, he cares about people and cares about there opinions, he currently disagrees with the Government, although keeps it quiet among his colleagues. His optimistic aspects change occasionally, making his personality split in the mood sense.

As you can clearly see, both of the two characters are quite opposite. Both of them are/were Police Officers, and both of them maneuver around suspects, victims and citizens differently. The Human Mind is ridiculously complex, thus enabling anyone to create literally anything they want (Within the boundaries of realism, no superman’s here.). Explore different traits among humans, your character could be brave, and yet a hopeless romantic and disrupted from his bravery for a young lass. Traits can and will differ throughout the life of your character; I am strongly one to believe the personality you are born with completely change throughout the years. You must think how events can change your characters persona, if he was once brave and then was shot or witnessed someone being killed due to his own fault, then maybe his bravery would crumble, making him a more "cowardly" character. Make sure you don’t change your characters personality to suit your own needs though, an actual event needs to change it otherwise it’s unrealistic. For example, if your character is a sardonic young man waiting to join the police, don’t change it to a polite perfect officer just so you can get a higher-rank within the department.

Giving your character life-long aspirations

Your character needs aspirations and goals to achieve throughout his life like all of us sitting here reading this do. this may be to be a Doctor in a Hospital, take over the underworld or be content and settle down with a family, your aspiration can literally be anything. You should always also have short-term goals, which can be easily changed by events which could alter them. Long-term aspirations should be kept throughout your characters life, unless of course a major event changes it.

Short Term Aspirations could be something like getting revenge on your neighbours dog for chewing your newspaper up, achieving top grades in Police Academy, taking out a guy who's been ratting you out to the cops. Long Term Goals would be more like careers and dreams.

Exploring your characters personality.

Why is he like that?

Your characters personality is shaped by events which have happened, like I mentioned before. If you character is a shy, disturbed and anti-social person, it could possibly be because of his parents beating him when he was young, damaging his confidence severely. If you Character is ridiculously arrogant and spoiled, maybe he was born in a rich and overall "soft" background. Backgrounds mean a lot to your characters persona, if they are poor, there attitude towards life may differ gravely, and this would effect there personality.

Finding out why your character is a certain way can also help develop new personality traits for him, it’s okay to add more traits as you play, but make sure you don’t contradict yourself

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried not to make it too long, so if it is a drag, just try and get through it. Hopefully this will be beneficial to people who want to take roleplay to the next level, and actually break the "mould". I’d like to add to it, since to me it is much to basic to really jump into role-play, but I know if I was reading this I’d probably skim through most of it, so please try and take your time to read it.
Back to top Go down

[GUIDE]Defining your Character
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Mafia Roleplay V0.1 :: Mafia RP :: Guides/Help-
Jump to: